With yet another winter storm upon us today, LADWP offered residents these storm tips, which have been shared by the Windsor Square and Hancock Park homeowners associations. The winds are gusty, initially predicted to get up 60 mph in some areas, and the forecast as we write this calls for partly cloudy conditions now with rain expected to start again later this afternoon and into this evening. (Though at the moment, as we’re publishing this, it’s sunny!)
In anticipation of the storm, LADWP said it has scheduled crews to be available around the clock, including scheduling additional qualified line clearance crews for tree clearing. We saw crews working in the neighborhoods yesterday as well.
LADWP recommends the following in the event of a power outage:
- Keep a flashlight and extra batteries nearby. Never use candles in a power outage or other emergency.
- Keep a fully charged cell phone on hand. During power outages, you may lose phone service and any cordless landline phones may also lose power.
- Keep a fully charged external battery pack handy in case you need to charge any of your electronics while the power is out. If power does go out:
- Report outages online here or by calling 1-800-DIAL-DWP (1-800-342-5397).
- Sign up for outage alerts at www.ladwp.com/outages. You will need an LADWP online account to register.
- Switch off all lights, except for one, so you will know when your power has been restored.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer closed to keep food cold.
- Check on vulnerable friends and neighbors to make sure they are safe.
In addition to reporting outages to LADWP, homeowners associations are also asking residents to report power outages to their Block Captains. If you live in Windsor Square and aren’t sure who your block captain is, please email [email protected] In Hancock Park, you can check the HPHOA website or email the block captains chair.
LADWP also reminds customers to use caution around any downed or dangling wires or poles. If you see a downed wire, always assume it is LIVE. Never touch ANY wire that is down or dangling and immediately dial 9-1-1.
Follow LADWP on Twitter (@ladwp) and Nextdoor for the most up-to-date outage information.