Our beloved Los Angeles Public Library system has been mostly closed since the COVID-19 restrictions kicked in, but now book lovers can rejoice – LAPL has initiated a new “LAPL to Go” program that allows patrons to reserve books online and pick them up outdoors at 18 different libraries.
Here are the details from LAPL’s website:
How It Works
- Place new holds from our online catalog.
- If you had previous holds from before our closure, you should have already been contacted via email to cancel or confirm your interest in picking up those items.
- When you are notified that your holds are available, call to schedule a pickup appointment. Library staff will advise you on what to expect when picking up your materials.
- Please bring a face covering with you. You must use one while picking up your holds.
- Enjoy your items! Loans can be returned at any book drop of our pickup locations.
Library To Go Pickup Service Locations
- Arroyo Seco Regional Library
- Central Library
- Echo Park Branch Library
- Junipero Serra Branch Library
- Los Feliz Branch Library
- Mar Vista Branch Library
- Northridge Branch Library
- Pio Pico-Koreatown Branch Library
- San Pedro Regional Library
- Studio City Branch Library
- Sylmar Branch Library
- Westwood Branch Library
- Woodland Hills Branch Library
These branches will be offering service beginning July 7.
Bookdrops at the pickup locations listed above are open for item returns.
All returned materials will be isolated for three (3) full days before being returned to shelves or reissued, as recommended by health and safety officials. After this short period, items will be checked in, and you will see them removed from your account. Since we are now fine-free, you will not see a late fine.
All due dates on existing checkouts have been extended to September 30. Due dates on new item checkouts will follow standard borrowing schedules–three weeks for books and audiobooks, one week for DVDs and music CDs.
Also worth noting:
- If your preferred branch library isn’t listed, don’t worry – more will be added to the list soon.
- Pickup hours may also be extended soon.
- If you had a book on hold before the COVID-19 closure, the library will contact you soon to see if you would still like to pick it up.
- Items newly returned to the library will be held for three days before processing (following Health Department guidelines), so the return will not show up on your account until after that isolation period.
- The library is still fine-free, so no fines are being charged on any late items.
- Unfortunately, none of the libraries are accepting book donations right now.
For even more information or to reserve a new book, see the LAPL to Go page at https://www.lapl.org/library-to-go, complete the library’s Ask a Librarian email form, or call one of the pickup locations above.
About Elizabeth Fuller
Elizabeth Fuller was born and raised in Minneapolis, MN but has lived in LA since 1991 - with deep roots in both the Sycamore Square and West Adams Heights-Sugar Hill neighborhoods. She spent 10 years with the Greater Wilshire Neighborhood Council, volunteers at Wilshire Crest Elementary School, and is the co-owner/publisher of the Buzz.
- More Posts