Your car probably hasn’t put on a lot of mileage in the past year, but here’s your chance to put it to excellent use: drive-in movies. They’re probably a part of your childhood memories, and now they can be a part of your own children’s as well.
Today’s drive-ins use FM radio transmissions rather than those clunky and staticky speakers you used to hang on the driver’s window. They offer food brought to you and upscale concession options—even the equivalent of room service!
Here’s a rundown of some great options within a 15-minute drive. (But don’t get to used to the 15-minute drives—they’re going the way of Barbara Ferrer news conferences.)
Drive-In Movie Nights at Pizzeria Da Michele (Hollywood)
Free short films are the perfect side to this pizzeria’s menu. Food is brought to your car, parked adjacent to the restaurant at 1534 N McCadden Place. Call (323) 366-2408 for reservations.
American Legion’s Hollywood Legion Theater (Hollywood)
American Legion Post 43 in Hollywood has launched the Hollywood Legion Theater, a 30-car drive-in with a 4K projection system. Tickets start at $65 per car (depending on size and entry time) and include unlimited popcorn and one soda and candy per person.
- Friday, March 12 The Maltese Falcon 6:00 pm Tickets
- Friday, March 12 The African Queen 8:30 pm Tickets
- Saturday, March 13 Frozen II 6:00 pm Tickets
- Saturday, March 13 Dazed and Confused 9:00 pm Tickets
- Sunday, March 14 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 7:00 pm Tickets
Tickets sell out quickly, so plan ahead. See the full schedule here.
Drive-In Theatre at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel
The Hollywood Roosevelt offers general admission and VIP tickets. Get your refreshments from an Airstream trailer parked on the property—including a bar.
Tickets are $45-75 and are available here.
- Sunday, March 14 National Lampoon’s Van Wilder 7:30 pm
- Sunday, March 14 National Lampoon’s Animal House 10:30 pm
- Sunday March 21 The Breakfast Club 7:30 pm
- unday March 21 Ferris Bueller’s Day Off 10:30 pm
- Sunday March 28 Kill Bill Vol. 1 7:30 pm
- Sunday March 28 Kill Bill Vol. 2 10:3 0pm
See the full schedule here.
Cinelounge Drive-In (Hollywood)
Cinelounge Drive-In is the only commercial exhibition drive-in theater recommended by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Movies are shown in a lot adjacent to Arena Cinelounge Sunset, 1625 N. Las Palmas Blvd. Cinelounge’s 10 flavors of gourmet popcorn will be available for purchase. Restrooms are available in the theatre lobby.
Tickets range in price from $29.99 for a single driver to $99.99 for five in a car.
- Friday, March 12 The Five Rules of Success 7:00 pm Tickets
- Friday, March 12 Cosmic Sin 8:40 pm Tickets
- Friday, March 12 Eraserhead 10:20 pm Tickets
- Saturday, March 13 Abandoned: Angelique’s Isle 6:30 pmTickets
- March 13, 15, 20 and 21 Nomadland times vary (click dates for tickets)
Additional offerings with multiple showtimes include Dear Comrades, Minari and Soul Eclipse (Premiere on March 19). From March 21 through 25, there will be a roster of feature films contending for this year’s biggest movie awards. See the full schedule here.
Cinespia at the Greek (Los Feliz)
Cinespia operates several great venues, from downtown to Hollywood Forever cemetery. The only one currently active is at the Greek, where the once-stacked parking lot next to the outdoor theater has become the ultimate drive-in. Tickets are $45 and cover up to four passengers in a car.
- Friday, March 12 Speed Doors open at 5:30, movie starts at 6:30 Ticket
- Saturday, March 13 The Little Rascals (1994) Doors open at 5:30, movie starts at 6:30 Tickets
- Friday, March 19 Toy Story Doors open at 6:30, movie starts at 7:30 Tickets
- Saturday, March 20 Chicago Doors open at 6:30, movie starts at 7:30 Tickets
The Andaz Hotel (West Hollywood)
The Andaz Hotel (once affectionately known as the Riot House for rock & roll exploits there) has turned its Sunset Strip location into the Late Night Drive-in. Moves are projected onto a 40-foot screen on the side of the building. Instead of the typical movie concession stand, try a “Date Night Bag” or order from the equivalent of a room service (car service( menu.
All events take place Friday and Saturday nights with gates opening at 6:30 pm and the movie starting at 7:30 p.m.
- March 12 The Boys in the Band (2020) (come back for the 1970 original on March 26) Tickets
- March 13 Kajillionaire Ticket
- March 17 The Commitments Tickets
- March 20 The Devil Wears Prada Tickets
See the full schedule here.
Finally, it’s a longer drive than 15 minutes, but Santa Monica also has some drive-in options, including Street Food Cinema at the Santa Monica Airport. And Star Wars fans won’t want to miss Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens at King Gillette Ranch, 26800 West, Mulholland Highway in Calabasas on April 3.