Serving Larchmont Village, Hancock Park, and the Greater Wilshire neighborhoods of Los Angeles since 2011.

Historic Home Profile: 325 South Plymouth Boulevard

325 South Plymouth Boulevard in Windsor Square was built in 1919. Historic research on the this house was done by Fluff McLean and Suz Landay for the Historical Society. (photo from the WSHPHS)


Editor’s Note: We are re-posting this profile which ran in March 2022 as an example of the historic home research done by Fluff McLean. She was a prodigious researcher who shared her knowledge and skills teaching interested residents, including Buzz writers, how they could learn about their historic homes. She and her husband Sandy McLean passed away last year and were memorialized by friends and family at The Ebell of Los Angeles last weekend for contributions to our local community and the preservation of our neighborhoods. 


Augusta A. and Mary Leona Nelson are listed as the first owners of the property in 1919. Mrs. Mary L. Nelson was one of the founding members of the ladies’ auxiliary branch of the Ocean Queen Rebekah Lodge, chartered August 3, 1895 in the Harbor District of Los Angeles. The building permit lists Leona H. Tyler receiving a permit to build a 12-room family home and private garage in December of 1919. Estimated value of the construction was $20,000.

R.D. Jones was the architect and S.M. Cooper was the contractor. Not much is known about the architect although he designed several homes in the area including 542 So. Irving Boulevard and 450 No. June Street. Jones usually worked in conjunction with contractor/builder Sansom M. Cooper. Mr. Cooper is credited with building hundreds of homes in Windsor Square and resided at 435 So. Lorraine Boulevard.

The Tyler family sold the home in 1923 to Irene and T.J. Washburn who modified the house in 1924 by adding a roof over a balcony on the second story. In 1928 the house was sold to Lloyd M. MacDonald who transferred ownership to Leah L. MacDonald in 1935. In 1936, the home was purchased by Albert Dippell. He renovated two bathrooms in 1940 and also renovated the front porch. He sold the home in 1941 to William D. and Eula H. Waltman. In 1946 the house was sold to Robert S. Young. The following year, the house was sold to William D. Waterman. In 1958, Eula Waltman repurchased the home which she kept until 1966. Harold and Mary S. Ross owned the home from 1966-1974. Then Tokai Bank owned the home and constructed the swimming pool in 1974. From 1974-1984 Paul H. and Mallie M. Nankivell owned the home.

In 1984 the current owners purchased the home. Over the years they have renovated the pool, bolted the house to its foundation, and most recently completed a wonderful renovation of the kitchen plus adding a family room. (They have also added a large raised patio for entertaining accessible from family room and kitchen French doors and renovated 3 bathrooms the current owner told the Buzz.)

Built 1919
R.D. Jones was the architect

Original research by Fluff McLean and Sue Landay, 2002 Text by Patty Lombard, 2002 Transcribed by Barbara Coad, April 2021 Edited by Bret Parsons, January 2022

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


Latest Articles

.printfriendly { padding: 0 0 60px 50px; }