LA Animal Services invites you to celebrate National Dog Day (of course it’s a thing!) by adopting or fostering a canine friend. According to the folks who run our city agency, National Dog Day was established to bring awareness to the plight of animals around the globe and encourage adoption.
In a statement to the community, the Department says:
“If you’re ready to add a new furry family member to your home, we have fantastic dogs and cats in our shelters as well as in foster care who are ready to be adopted and be a part of your family,” said Brenda Barnette, General Manager for LA Animal Services.
In celebration of National Dog Day, we’re encouraging dog lovers who have already adopted or fostered from LA Animal Services to share a photo of their best friend on social media using the hashtags #NationalDogDay #LAcitypets #LAanimalservices and tagging us! We’re also always looking for stories to share and be featured on our social media accounts, so we encourage you to submit your story and photos to us by clicking here.
If you would like to foster a pet, please follow these steps:
- Visit laanimalservices.com/adopt to see our animals and identify one to three animals you may want to foster, and get their Animal ID number or A# (example:A1234567)
- Email the volunteer liaison at [email protected] with your completed foster application (if you have not fostered before), a picture of your valid government-issued identification with photo (i.e., driver’s license), and the Animal ID number(s) of the pets you want to meet.
- We will contact you once your application is reviewed to schedule an appointment.
If you would like to adopt a pet, please follow these steps:
- Visit laanimalservices.com/adopt and identify an animal you’d like to adopt.
- Call 1-888-452-7381 with the Animal ID number or A# (example: A1234567).
- LA Animal Services will share all the information available on that animal.
- If you’re interested in moving forward with the adoption, LA Animal Services will take your information and schedule a pick-up appointment.
- During the appointment, staff will introduce you to your selected animal.
- Please be advised that due to City order in response to COVID-19, no more than 10 people, which include staff, are permitted in our facility at a time. To comply with social distancing requirements, we will be scheduling appointments daily at our four LA Animal Services Centers from 11am to 4pm.
Due to the pandemic, our LA Animal Services Centers are open by appointment only. Visit laanimalservices.com or call 888-452-7381 for more information.