Now through April, check out the new flavors at Salt & Straw created by elementary school students from Larchmont Charter as part of Salt and Straws annual “Student Inventors” series. The collaboration invites students to create their own flavors of ice cream that Salt & Straw’s Head Ice Cream Maker Tyler Malek transforms into real ice cream.
The Student Inventors series partners with local elementary schools near the Salt and Straw scoop shops in the various Portland/LA communities. The annual program starts with Malek who presents at school assemblies and in classrooms at the beginning of the semester to talk about his job and the artisanal ice cream making process, and then works with teachers/PTAs to create an “Ice Cream Inventing Assignment” for students. The students then get to work conceptualizing, drawing, and describing their dream flavors… after which he reviews selects three from each school to bring to life.
Salt and Straw has partnered with Larchmont Charter (Larchmont Scoop Shop), Westminster Elementary (Abbot Kinney Scoop Shop), Carpenter Community Charter (Studio City Scoop Shop), Larchmont Charter-Fairfax (West Hollywood Scoop Shop), to offer student-created flavors at their five shop locations in those respective neighborhoods. The flavors are available during the month of April.
Larchmont Charter Flavors (available at Salt & Straw’s Larchmont Village Scoop Shop)
- The Three Cs: Chocolate, Churro Bits, Cinnamon
- Ice Cream Berry Dream: Vanilla Ice Cream, Trio of Chocolate Covered Berries (strawberries, raspberries & blueberries), Candied Jalapeños, Pita Chip Crunch, and a Swirl of Nutella Fudge
- Dinner for Dessert: Potatoes, Bacon, Garlic, Butter, Cheese, Chives
Elsewhere around the city you can try flavors “invented” by local students at the following elementary schools:
Westminster Elementary (available at Salt & Straw’s Abbot Kinney Scoop Shop)
- Pineapple-Star Anise Ripple with Honeycomb Brittle: Star Anise, Pineapple, Honeycomb, Sea Salt, Black Pepper
- Sock-It-To-Me-Surprise: Vanilla, Cream, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Walnuts
- The Butter Pecan Coffee Crunch: Rice Crispies, Caramel, Pecans
Carpenter Community Charter (available at Salt & Straw’s Studio City Scoop Shop)
- Salt n’ Pepper Caramel – Salted Carmel Ice Cream with Shakes of Grinded Pepper
- Cherry Potter & the Sorcerer’s Cone – Cherries, Vanilla, and Skittles
- Sophia’s Saturday Breakfast – Vanilla Ice Cream with Chunks of Chocolate Donuts and Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans
Inner-City Arts (Metro Charter Elementary Students) (available at Salt & Straw’s Arts District Scoop Shop)
- Hearts Hugs Yummy Nice Kind Friendship!: Chocolate Cake Bits, Cherries
- Rice Shrimp Sushi with Lime: Rice, Shrimp, Lime
- Chicken Tinga: Chicken, Sour Cream, Tostados
Larchmont Charter-Fairfax (available at Salt & Straw’s West Hollywood Scoop Shop)
- Baked Alaska: Cake Batter, Rocky Road, and Meringue
- Coconut & Cashew (V): Coconut and Cashew with Chocolate Chips and Smoked Brittle
- Truffle Mix Up: Banana, Strawberry, Marshmallows, and Truffle