As we wrote about on Monday, there will be a full closure of Wilshire Blvd., from Hauser Blvd. to Fairfax Ave., this weekend, for an NBC/Universal shoot of a new TV pilot. At the same time, there will also be a “soft closure” (local traffic allowed; no through traffic), from La Brea Ave. to Hauser. And in addition to the big street closure, there will be parking reductions on several side streets.
But we learned this afternoon, from Barbara Gallen, a member of the Park La Brea Residents Committee and the Mid City West Community Council, that some free parking has now been secured for residents of the Sixth Street Miracle Mile neighborhood (those who hold District 78 parking permits), who are likely to be the most severely affected by the loss of neighborhood street parking during the closures. The latest details, from Gallen, are below…and anyone who plans to drive or park in the neighborhood on Saturday and Sunday should also take note:
To accommodate an NBC pilot shoot, Wilshire will be closed to traffic this weekend — Hauser to Fairfax — Sat 3/14 12:01 a.m. to Mon 3/16 3:00 a.m. There will be no penetration points across Wilshire between Hauser and Fairfax during the 2-day closure.
Because traffic will be detoured to Sixth St., parking will be impacted (details below), so I’ve arranged free off street parking for residents with Preferential Parking District 78 permits at 5455 Wilshire (Cochran) to lessen the burden of the closure on the community. Thank you to NBC Universal Location Manager Jordan Schmidt who graciously accommodated my request to provide courtesy parking for residents during the production.
Please read the following to know what to expect. Share this message with neighbors and encourage them to send me their names, addresses, emails to be added to the neighborhood notification list in case of further updates for this event — or future event notifications
DURING THE CLOSURE:
– Local traffic only allowed on Wilshire btw La Brea and Hauser. No traffic allowed on Wilshire btw Hauser and Fairfax.
– Through traffic including buses will be diverted to Sixth St. at Fairfax, and at Hauser.
– Expect some gridlock on Sixth on both days, but to help with that…
– Traffic control officers will be stationed along Sixth St. at Ogden, Curson, Hauser, Burnside and Cochran, to help ensure safe pedestrian crossings, keep intersections clear and traffic moving as sanely as possible under the circumstances.
– NO PARKING on Sixth – 9am – 7pm – both sides – Dunsmuir to La Brea. (Overnight parking will be allowed.)
– Residents w/ District 78 permit may park free in 5455 Wilshire garage (enter on Cochran) Fri 7 pm – Mon 8 am. Yes, three nights! 😉
– District 78 Annual or Visitor permit must be displayed from mirror when entering the garage / while parked there.
– You’ll be given an NBC Universal flyer to display in your windshield while parked in the garage. This flyer grants your vehicle free parking Fri 7pm – Mon 8am.
– You may come and go during the closure, but your District 78 permit must be displayed to avoid parking charges.
The Sixth Street Miracle Mile community doesn’t have a residents association so it has always been difficult to “get the word out” to residents about major happenings and impacts. Help me build a notificaiton list by suggesting that your neighbors contact me with their information to be added to this notification list.
Chair, Land Use and Transportation Committee
Park La Brea Residents Association (PLBRA)
Zone 6 Rep (La Brea / Wilshire / Fairfax / Third)
Mid CIty West Community Council
(310) 490 0715