Serving Larchmont Village, Hancock Park, and the Greater Wilshire neighborhoods of Los Angeles since 2011.

Ellary Eddy Looks at Life Over 50 in Realize Magazine

Ellary Eddy goofing off at LACMA.
Ellary Eddy goofing off at LACMA.

Ellary Eddy is not quietly sailing into the sunset of old(er) age. She’s grabbing the tiller and steering the “over 50” crowd into celebrating their wit and wisdom through an online lifestyle publication Realize Magazine.

“My goal with Realize is to encourage our generation to re-identify, to re-connect with the sass, the energy and the obstreperous creativity of our youth,” Eddy told the Larchmont Buzz.

It all started when Eddy received a copy of AARP Magazine in the mail a few years back. “It seemed to me the message was ‘Strap on your diapers, put your pills in your alligator bag (or man purse), hop on your scooter and head straight downhill.’ I thought our generation needed a different message.” So she started writing and collecting work from and about her peers (she hates to use the ‘boomer’ moniker finding it too generic.)

Who says you can't learn to fly on a trapeze if you're over 50?
Who says you can’t learn to fly on a trapeze if you’re over 50?

Exploring everything from the art of flying on a trapeze, to the wedding zen achieved by a new mother-of-the-bride, to how to start an art collection at any price range – Realize shares voices that span gender and age, teasing out nuggets of insight and poetry that one can taste and savor in small doses. It’s fun to flit through sections with categories like INDULGE and GROW: I particularly enjoyed how Life is 90% Maintenance, but it’s the Other 10%.

But of course, Eddy has bigger plans in the works: the Realize Channel.

“The idea is to bring the audacious members of this generation to the small screen alive and kicking. I’m not talking about celebrities, but people like you and me, people of character. Trailblazers. Entrepreneurs. Anyone who’s broken out of the box.  I truly believe we deserve to see ourselves reflected back to us by our peers, un-stereotyped,” Eddy said. The Realize Channel is expected to feature profiles, conversations, and artistic forays into culture, lifestyle, adventure, and the world of ideas.

In this new venture, Eddy will be getting back to her filmmaking roots. Born in Chicago but raised in her teenage years in New York, Eddy has always lived in the world of the art – shooting film, screenwriting, painting and writing. She worked in advertising, designed an internet gaming site, and eventually moved to Los Angeles with some screenplays in her pocket and the desire to make features, but became exasperated by the slow pace of getting a film off the ground. “I’m not a patient person,” she said.

Eddy landed in the Fairfax district about 11 years ago in a 1930’s Spanish duplex that offers some of the best of LA. She regularly frequents Larchmont Village for the Farmer’s Market and her “old school” yoga fix, and gets in her laps regularly at the Park LaBrea pool. She seems to have found the right formula for flying through the second half of life by embracing it with vigor, and sharing it with the rest of us.

For a preview of Realize Channel watch the segment “Amsterdammers on Life Over 50” below.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Julie Grist
Julie Grist
Julie co-founded the Larchmont Buzz with fellow buzzer Mary Hawley in 2011 and served as Editor, Publisher and writer for the hive for many years until the sale of the Buzz in August 2015. She is still circling the hive as an occasional writer.

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


Latest Articles

.printfriendly { padding: 0 0 60px 50px; }