At a hearing last week in Division 40 of the Criminal Courts, Bungalow owner Albert Mizrahi was told to remove the chairs from his illegal restaurant before his next court date, August 14, where he will enter a plea in the criminal case according to LarchmontLA.com and the Larchmont Chronicle who both reported the proceedings. Reportedly Mizrahi told the court he would plead not guilty. City Attorney Serena Christion who is handling the case is on vacation and not available for further explanation.
The Bungalow opened in October 2009 after signing an agreement with the city promising to operate as “take-out” only with no tables and chairs. The city revoked their occupancy permit in December of 2009 for violating the agreement and filed criminal charges in January 2010. Shortly thereafter, the Bungalow sued the city saying it had illegally revoked their permit and effectively stopping the criminal case until the civil case was resolved. In January 2012, a judge found in favor of the city and the criminal proceedings were resumed. After series of delays, it appears the case might go to a jury in September. In the meantime, the Bungalow continues to operate illegally.
The Bungalow case is still of great interest to the Larchmont community because support for the City’s efforts to enforce zoning on Larchmont remains strong.
About Patricia Lombard
Patricia Lombard is the co-editor and publisher of the Larchmont Buzz. Patty lives with her family in Fremont Place. She has been active in neighborhood issues since moving here in 1989. Her pictorial history, "Larchmont" for Arcadia Press is available at Chevalier's Books.
- Web |
- More Posts
6 thoughts on “Bungalow Criminal Case Set for Trial In September”
I truly can’t understand how someone can flout the law, and continue doing whatever they want to do — while people supposedly paid to protect the community apply for extensions, go on vacation, and otherwise wear everybody out waiting for justice. By the time this is settled this person will plead persecution, based on all the business: he has been illegally running. Why have rules, when just waiting everybody out gets you what you want????
Great article. Thanks for staying on top of this, Patty, and Larchmont Buzz.
Is Mr. Albert Mizrahi obstinate, emotionally immature, or simply immoral in his refusal to obey the laws of the City of Los Angeles? I have no idea, but I wish he would sell his properties on Larchmont Blvd and stay out of our neighborhood.
I too do not understand why Mizrahi is allowed to just keep on keepin’ on, when what he is doing is illegal. And I’m sure (or at least, I hope I’m sure) that the customers that keep patronizing his place have no idea that it’s in violation of the law. Where does the Larchmont Business Association stand on this case? Mizrahi’s actions seem to cast the entire issue of zoning on Larchmont into anarchy, and who’s interests would that serve? I guess whoever is in favor of Larchmont turning into one big ugly food court – which it is perilously close to, already.
Neither my wife or I have ever set foot in the Bungalow and we tell everyone we know not to patronize it. It is sad that our wheels of justice grind so slowly, but I hope the dispicable Mr. Mizrahi ends up in the slammer.