Did you know that you can catch live British theater productions in state of the art movie theaters around town? The National Theater Live Series, featuring broadcasts of some of Britain’s best stage productions allows Angelenos to experience what are among the best performances of our time – live, via satellite.
National Theater Live
Macbeth – National Theatre Live broadcasts the Manchester International Festival’s production of Macbeth, with Kenneth Branagh returning in his first Shakespeare performance in over a decade as Macbeth, and Alex Kingston (ER) as Lady Macbeth.
Thursday, October 17th – Live at Downtown Independent; encores on 10/19, 10/24, 11/10, 11/16, 11/24.
November 2nd & 3rd – Live at James Bridges Theater
The Audience – National Theatre Live will broadcast the highly-anticipated West End production of The Audience, with Helen Mirren reprising her Academy Award winning role as Queen Elizabeth II, live from London’s Gielgud Theatre.
October 27th – Encore at Downtown Independent
Frankenstein – National Theatre Live’s 2011 broadcast of Frankenstein, directed by Danny Boyle, with Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller, returns to cinemas as part of the National Theatre’s 50th anniversary celebrations.
October 31st, November 2nd, 3rd, 30th – Special Encore at Downtown Independent
NTL Theaters (Different Schedules at Each Theater)
Downtown Independent – 251 South Main Street, LA 90012
James Bridges Theater (UCLA) – 235 Charles E. Young Drive, LA 90095
The Downtown Independent is located in Little Tokyo. The theater relocated to its current space in 2007 where they renovated the building formerly occupied by the Linda Lea theater at 251 South Main Street. It is an ultra-modern one-screen movie house that shows independent films. The venue is slightly less than 10,000 square feet and has stadium seating for 222, including 16 sofa seats. According to their website, the specs are as follows:
- BARCO DP2K-20c Digital Projector, with HDSDI and DVI/HDMI input
- Dolby DSS200 Digital Cinema Server, with Thompson Watermarking and DCI Compliant encryption. AES digital audio connection to the Dolby CP650 audio processor
- IN-HOUSE DIGITAL PLAYBACK OPTIONS: DVD, BLU RAY, QUICKTIME AND DCP
- RED ROCKET equipped MAC PRO and RED Rocket Breakout box
- 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound with JBL loudspeakers, QSC amplification andDolby CP650 cinema processor. DataSat AP20 also available.
- LIGHTSPEED DepthQ 3D Polarization Modulator.34′ STRONG/MDI Silver Screen
This all seems just about perfect for watching Kenneth Branagh, Helen Mirren, Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller. As if we needed a Barco Digital Projector.